Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Getting used to being home is sometimes harder than you think

The bus ride home to Moshi was very long, very hot and very cramped. And for those of you who are picturing it, no there were no chickens on board. Kenya is suffering from a drought right now. There has been no rain and temperatures of +40. With the depleting economy and the shortage of maze (corn which is one of their staple foods) the effects of the drought are reaching clear across the country, even touching my family in Mukeu. My Kenya dad said that there are still many displaced people that were forced to run from their homes during the riots and killings in January 2008 keeping refuge in his village. They are the ones feeling this the most. Many are scared and all are starving. Please pray for rain for this country because we know that the God we serve will provide all they need.

In Tanzania we drove through some areas that were so dusty you could not see 5 feet in front of the vehicle. Then we drove through rain so hard you would splash the people on the side of the road and hear their screams as you drove by. Then came the heat. As I approach the house where I will see Elli (Bariki’s daughter) I am left wondering how she will react to the surprise. You see today is her 13th birthday and she has no idea that I am the birthday surprise she has been waiting for. I approach the house and she decides to hide in shock. As I stand outside and hug my mother in-law I look for her to reveal herself. When she does she runs out to me and jumps into my arms. I pick her up and we turn around in circles. As we sit together she buries her head in my lap and says nothing. She remains there for almost ten minutes till I ask her if she is happy. She digs her face further into her hands and my lap and shakes her head yes. It was just as I imagined now I am truly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment